Many women have become comfortable with the fact that they are attracted to other women, but they often have no idea how to meet other women who feel the same attraction. It's perfectly understandable. Many of us have been married, have busy work lives and just haven't had the time to keep up on our social activities, let alone socializing with lesbian or bisexual women. Here are ten ways you can meet lesbian and bisexual women, both online and in the real world.
1. Online discussion forums and chat rooms for lesbians and bisexual women. Start searching google for lesbian social sites, discussion forums and activity groups. Take the time to post messages, get involved in the groups and join the live chats. If you see someone who piques your interest send her a polite private message to introduce yourself. Most of all, have fun and get involved. You'll share and learn knowledge in the process.
2. There are a number of lesbian dating sites online. Lesbian dating sites can be a great place to meet women who are looking for the same thing you are. Lesbian dating is big business online so if you're serious about wanting to meet someone then there are some things you can do to greatly improve your odds of successfully meeting the right woman online. Join several of the bigger dating sites. Write a profile and include a recent photo of yourself. Make yourself sound interesting. You can do it - tell them about your hobbies or interests. Keep it light and fun to invite responses. Don't just sit there and wait. Browse through the profiles and send a few friendly messages to let women know you're interested in them. Finally, don't stop too soon. It may take months to find your Ms. Right. Anything worthwhile is worth the wait, right? Give it a little time and you may just be successful.
3. Social networking sites have only been around a few years but they have quickly become a way to meet interesting people both locally and worldwide. Be careful of game players but there are thousands of potential friends just waiting to be found in these networks. Most social networking sites allow you to search by geographic location (and sexual orientation) to meet new friends in your area, or perhaps in areas where you'll be traveling.
4. Gay and lesbian bars can be a good way to get out and socialize with women who speak your language. Most larger cities and many smaller towns have gay and lesbian bars or hangouts where you can meet lesbian and bisexual women. If you're shy find a friend to go with you the first time, then get to know some folks so you don't have to go in alone. Do a little research before you go. Many of these bars and nightclubs have a web site where you can check to see when they have women's night, karaoke, shows, etc. Sometimes it's easier to show up when there is something of interest to you going on. My maternal instinct kicks in here so I should tell you to be careful of alcoholics and druggies but you can meet some nice people out at the bars and nightclubs.
5. Gay and lesbian social groups exist in many cities. A quick Google search might uncover a local Gay and Lesbian Center, Gay Straight Alliances at local colleges/universities or even a lesbian social group. Look for local lesbian mailing lists at Yahoo and similar services. Sometimes these groups have web sites or print publications where you can introduce yourself. The more you mingle and meet people, the more new people you will meet as you are introduced to friends of friends.
6. Lesbians love sporting activities whether they are playing or watching. Softball, volleyball and basketball are common lesbian interests. So is watching professional sports teams. Many communities have women's professional sports teams such as football or basketball. If you happen to show up you're bound to find lesbians both playing and watching. This is an especially useful tip if you happen to live in a smaller town where there are no openly gay and lesbian activities.
7. Church - yes churches can be a great way to meet lesbian women. If your community has a "welcoming congregation," that usually means the church welcomes gay and lesbian people. Metropolitan Community Churches, Unitarian Universalist Churches and The United Church of Christ among others are known to be welcoming churches. You're very likely to meet lesbian and bisexual women who never go to the bars. If you're looking for a committed relationship this might not be a bad place to meet suitable women.
8. Gay neighborhoods and business centers exist in many larger cities. Do a little research to find out if there are gay and lesbian neighborhoods in your area. If so, there are sure to be lesbian friendly coffee shops and hangouts in the neighborhood. You will often find LGBT businesses clustered together in a shopping mall, on a street or in a neighborhood.
9. Local gay publications usually contain personal ads, organizations, welcoming businesses, a calendar of upcoming events, concerts and news of interest to the local community. You can try a Google search for these publications or look at local gay and lesbian bars or businesses. They frequently stock LGBT publications for their customers.
10. Perhaps one of the most effective ways to meet lesbian and bisexual women is through friends. Don't ever discount the power of friends and networking. If you can only meet one or two lesbian or bisexual friends, that's enough to get started. It's great to have friends anyway, but they can introduce you to their lesbian and bisexual friends and before you know it you'll have a bunch of friends. With these new friends comes the opportunity to meet even more people, engage in fun activities with your new women friends such as hiking, sports, card games or whatever.
I have dedicated much of my life to helping other lesbian, bisexual and bi-curious women work through their feelings and develop meaningful relationships. I sincerely hope something here can help make a difference in your life.
Labels: Bisexual women